It’s wonderful to grab some winter sunshine when the UK is starting to turn grey. I have recently returned from the lovely island of Antigua. It was a week of R&R, quality time spent with hubby and memories to keep me going as the days turn shorter, the temperature declines and Christmas tunes start playing in each and every corner.
Here’s the view from one of the beaches on Green Island – we had a little boat trip there one morning. The sea was clear. The sands were white. Wish I was there now … (I thought so much of this yesterday when we had torrential rain, thunder then hailstones here in Kent!)
Browsing through recent snaps I also looked at photos of a holiday in September last year. It was a wonderful trip to Mauritius. Again, a week of R&R. (Very indulgent, very lucky I know.) Being particularly self critical (who isn’t when faced with themselves in swimwear?!), I hate every photo of myself as I had never been as big as I was then. It inspired me to lose weight, which has been a steady journey and occasionally I can remind myself on days like today, that it has been worth it. I am lighter, a dress size smaller and I feel fitter than I have for a long time. Yes I fall off the sensible eating wagon sometimes but overall it’s going the right way.
As regards crafting progress: Over the last few months I had been slacking and I wasn’t particularly proud of myself. I couldn’t settle into anything. I got distracted easily, switching between a little knitting, going wrong, ripping it back, reknitting, summer projects didn’t get finished, last winter’s projects still lay half done. I tried to sew, I cut fabric out. cut wrong, changed projects, didn’t do it well. I embroidered a bit, not a lot, I even tried to tackle a sweet little embroidery that’s been in a hoop for several years. Nothing was working.
Now it’s November and a good friend needs hats for a charity sale. It’s got me back into knitting and I have to say SUCCESSFULLY FINISHING too. I am using up some yarn scraps. The styles and sizes are flexible. I love stripes and pompoms so I guess there will be a few more like these.
All in all it’s a perfect start to hopefully a good winter and a good winter knitting season. I knit more in the winter. I expect many of us do. Do you?
Here’s wishing you all a happy November.
I finished another knit project! This had been a WIP set aside for quite some time (blogged at the end of January). It was ready in time for our holiday, buttons sewn on and all!
Updating of 2018 Enthusiams (Resolutions to some):
- Keep on track with the diet – there may have been a little over indulgence on holiday (well, a lot actually! I steered clear of creamy cocktails, but did sup a few clear ones, ate plenty of desserts and did little exercise – I don’t think a dip in the Indian Ocean counts as a healthy swim to counteract it, or does it ..?) . But according to my bathroom scales nothing too horrific to report
- Sort out craft stuff all over the house – finishing a WIP counts
- Think seriously about the next step jobwise/careerwise and make good choices – not been thinking, so this is a mini fail
- Make a bucket list of things to do compelled by a particular date – I have a big reveal about this later in the week ! Thanks to a pair of lovely lovely friends!
- Become more involved in day to day household accounting/finance – mini fail …. time to get my pen and paper out ..
Another week into 2018. Am I keeping up my Enthusiams?
Reiteration from last week –
- Keep on track with the diet started in October
- Sort out craft stuff all over the house
- Think seriously about the next step jobwise/careerwise and make good choices
- Make a bucket list of things to do compelled by a particular date
- Become more involved in day to day household accounting/finance
Yes, the dieting has been going well, despite eating out twice, according to my own bathroom scales I am still more or less on track. My view is, enjoy food, enjoy company, be extra sensible when eating at home. the two counterbalance each other and life doesn’t get boring!
Craft sorting is slow but still sorting.
Another yarn project ripped back and well into the reknit. Another Drops Andes project, it was a short sleeved jacket, a DROPs pattern which just was a disaster, now it’s 3/4 of a cushion using a Sirdar pattern when gauge this time is not so important.
A little fabric project has also been decided upon – will blog pics when finished – technically this will become a fabric/yarn combi project. Any guesses?
Job/Career – a few prospects thought about, one visited, no conclusions yet. Who would have thought of a coffee shop run from a horse box parked in a restaurant car park? That was just one opportunity. Yes, really!
Bucket list – the bucket is empty at the moment!
Household accounting – can I count last week’s decision to menu plan rather than random buy the main weekly shop? It means I will use up everything I buy, not throw out a thing, not waste any money! This isn’t big inroads to my ‘Enthusiasm’ but it’s a start. You should have seen my husband’s surprise when I served up ‘cauliflower rice’ for dinner yesterday (Enthusisam 1. Diet planning, Enthusiasm 5. Using what we had, Conclusion – we both thought it delicious, it was a win/win!)
Happy crafting and creating. Another week, another zillion projects in the making!