It’s been a quiet week craftwise, with much time taken up elsewhere with family illness and a little bit of work.
A few weeks ago I began a machine stitched baby playmat. I kept the urge back to post pics here as I was planning to post when it was finished. I briefly worked on the playmat two days ago, a little time for me and for my sanity! I still have a little way to go – craftwise that it, sanity well who can tell!
The playmat was supposed to be a quick and easy project. A few weeks ago, the piecing went well, fabulous fabric donated by a friend. I pieced the front, THEN I accidently cut the backing too small! Grrr, I dashed out and purchased an alternative fabric. I sewed the back and front together like a pillowcase, intending to pop in the wadding and simply do some formed of ‘tied’ quilting. That’s where I had left it until this week.
Have you ever tried to insert wadding through a small gap in one side of a pillowcase shape and try and make it reach all the edges? It doesn’t work – wadding is way too flexible. It clung to the fabric in all the wrong places. I had imagined it would be like putting a duvet in a duvet cover. It isn’t! I ended up flipping the ‘pillowcase’ inside out again and attempted to tack the wadding to the wrong side of the front of the playmat. There was one major hurdle – I had to avoid tacking the wadding to both the front and the back as I then wanted to flip it right side out, seam the gap and then tie the quilt as planned. Some might say ‘why didn’t she just undo the seam around the whole thing and tack the wadding to one part?’ I have no idea why I didn’t do that! So, this wasn’t like a standard quilt where you have three layers and then bind the edges afterwards. I came up with this weird method of inserting a magazine into the gap and moving it beneath each part as I tacked. I could pin and tack through the wadding and the front without the pins and stitches going right through to the other layer. Here’s a pic mid process with a hint of what the back will look like.
I shall finish this before the recipient arrives in June. I had just run out of me time this week and was slightly traumatised by the effort this took!
Watch this blog for the finished article.
Total other craftings this week – three hexagon shapes cut and tacked to card for my hand quilted hexi project. Long way to go on this one. Twelve rows of knitting, shaping armholes for an ongoing project. Not so much to still do, the bulk is done. I am just at the fiddly parts, not a project to take when hospital visiting. I have a new one for just that next time.
Bye for now.